As a revelation of the authentic concept of posterity, this November 2rd3 turned 56 years of nationalization by the Cuban Revolution of the French Apothecary of Matanzas, a building that remains faithful to the tradition of service that saw her born on January 1st, 1882.
Ernesto Triolet Jr., his last owner, could become a millionaire if he had decided to sell the valuable collections treasured in the property, but…
“He gave everything and did more, continued living and working there, until his death in 1979,” says Marcia Brito Hernández, the only director who has had the institution since her conversion to a Pharmaceutical Museum, on May 1st, 1964.
According to Brito Hernández, the Botica continues as a living space, “with a close relationship with the community. The second floor, where the house was, lends its rooms to different artistic activities. ”
She considers that the atmosphere of this is completely different from other museums, because there is a sense of homogeneity in the way in which the heritage assets are exposed and in the work of the apothecary.
She has stated that “the greatest impact on visitors occurs when checking the high degree of conservation, even being a pharmacy with 136 years of foundation. However, it maintains its original structure, which is not frequent in other entities of its kind. For this reason, visitors are delighted. ”
In this site there are also many oddities such as honey candies for children; deer horn powder, known as the world’s most potent natural aphrodisiac; medical instruments, an autoclave, an oxygen generator, the first type of electrocardiograph that the United States sold in 1920.
There are also syringes, gyneco-obstetric materials such as forceps, specula and separators. In the hall there is a white marble staircase from Carrara to access the house, there is the wooden wheeled bicycle used by the ones that carry merchandises, the first public telephone booth that had the city of Matanzas, a label of the twentieth century formed by 150 drawers. As another curiosity, for years the lamp was made in London that was thirteen decades in the street and worked with gas. It only turned on Mondays, when the apothecary was on duty at night.
In the 90s, during the Special Period and before the shortage of medicines, the Apothecary form was consulted by the nascent LABIOFAM and maintains significant links with Health polytechnics, the University of Medical Sciences, the Revolutionary Armed Forces, as well as experts from several countries are interested in its valuable international pharmacopoeia.
Declared a National Monument in 2007 and National Restoration Prize the following year, the French Pharmacy is on the indicative list of Cuban proposals to opt for World Heritage.
The most recent recognition of the Pharmaceutical Museum was the inscription of its documentary fund Recipe Settlement Books in the Cuban National Registry of the Memory of the World Program of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (Unesco).
The fund keeps the recipes of all the formulas that were made in the French Pharmacy of Dr. Ernesto Triolet for more than 82 years, which makes it unique and irreplaceable.
Caption: Many tourists visit the old French Apothecary, located in the heart of the historic center of the city of Matanzas.